New Defender - PHEV
Neil
2020-09-28 23:49:36 UTC
I just read this in an on-line magazine!

"Land Rover has just released its PHEV of the new Defender, completing
the new line of Defenders for now. The new hybrid version of the
Defender will be powerful and efficient with 404 horsepower, a 0-60mph
time of 5.4 seconds, and 85.3mpg with CO2 emissions of 74g/km. The
electric motor produces instant torque whether you are on or off-road.
The overall electric range is 27 miles. This variant will only be
available with 110 models and comes out in early 2021."

Interesting - I did have a ride in one of Land Rover's own electric
drive conversions of a 110, about 5 years ago at the Adventure Overland
Show at Stratford-on-Avon racecourse, and was quite impressed! I seem to
recall at the time that Land Rover would take your late Defender(Puma
model) and do the total conversion for about £18k, and they were gauging
interest at the time. Apparently there are a couple of these in use at
the Eden Project.

Personally, I believe that electric drive(particularly hybrid) is the
future, as long as the powers that be, can get past their reluctance to
use highly efficient diesel engines(running on bio fuel) as the generator!

Neil
Bob Hobden
2020-10-01 17:52:56 UTC
Post by Neil
[...]
Have you seen the figures Volvo have produced regarding their new
Polestar 2 (pure battery electric)? Turns out it causes 24 tons of CO2
in manufacture against 14 tons for a petrol Volvo of similar size.
Using the European average for electrical generation it takes 50,000
mile to catch up with the petrol, would be much more for a diesel.
--
Regards.
Bob Hobden
Neil
2020-10-04 22:03:28 UTC
<snipped>
Post by Bob Hobden
Post by Neil
Personally, I believe that electric drive(particularly hybrid) is the
future, as long as the powers that be, can get past their reluctance to
use highly efficient diesel engines(running on bio fuel) as the generator!
Neil
Have you seen the figures Volvo have produced regarding their new
Polestar 2 (pure battery electric)? Turns out it causes 24 tons of CO2
in manufacture against 14 tons for a petrol Volvo of similar size.
Using the European average for electrical generation it takes 50,000
mile to catch up with the petrol, would be much more for a diesel.
I haven't seen those figures, so I won't question them. However, the way
we use petroleum products, and fossil fuels in general, WILL inevitably
have to change - probably not in my lifetime though!

Neil.
Bob Hobden
2022-01-09 16:09:49 UTC
Post by Neil
[...]
Understand the New Ineos Grenadier will be available as a Hydrogen
fueled vehicle, believe it's a Fuel Cell, Ineos is a big Hydrogen
producer. Standard engines are the 6 cylinder 3ltr BMW petrol and
diesel.
--
Regards.
Bob Hobden