Timing Belt tension on a 200Tdi
Steve
2005-11-13 20:14:24 UTC
Hi folks,
The manual says "tension with a lever-type torque wrench to 20Nm"

Is that right ? It sounds like bugger all.

Steve
Tom Woods
2005-11-13 21:06:09 UTC
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:14:24 +0000, Steve
Post by Steve
Hi folks,
The manual says "tension with a lever-type torque wrench to 20Nm"
Is that right ? It sounds like bugger all.
Its not too far off what my workshop manual says for the 2.5 diesel
(29 to 23 Nm) - so its feasably correct.
Pieter Vroom
2005-11-14 21:21:26 UTC
If you are replacing the timing belt you need to double tension it, i.e.
tension correctly once, rotate engine by hand for a couple of revs, and
repeat tensioning. I think there is a good description on difflock website
(for 300tdi, but very similar).

Pieter
Steve
Steve
2005-11-13 21:16:53 UTC
Post by Pieter Vroom
If you are replacing the timing belt you need to double tension it, i.e.
tension correctly once, rotate engine by hand for a couple of revs, and
repeat tensioning. I think there is a good description on difflock website
(for 300tdi, but very similar).
Yes, I got that idea from the manual too, just the tension seems awfully
low.

Steve
Nick Williams
2005-11-13 22:17:19 UTC
Post by Steve
Post by Pieter Vroom
If you are replacing the timing belt you need to double tension it, i.e.
tension correctly once, rotate engine by hand for a couple of revs, and
repeat tensioning. I think there is a good description on difflock website
(for 300tdi, but very similar).
Yes, I got that idea from the manual too, just the tension seems awfully
low.
Steve
You're not measuring the actual tension in the belt, though, you're measuring
the torque that results on the idler pulley, and the laws of geometry mean
that this is (likely to be) much lower than the actual belt tension.

Nick.
Huw
2005-11-14 13:10:43 UTC
Post by Nick Williams
Post by Steve
Post by Pieter Vroom
If you are replacing the timing belt you need to double tension it, i.e.
tension correctly once, rotate engine by hand for a couple of revs, and
repeat tensioning. I think there is a good description on difflock website
(for 300tdi, but very similar).
Yes, I got that idea from the manual too, just the tension seems awfully
low.
Steve
You're not measuring the actual tension in the belt, though, you're measuring
the torque that results on the idler pulley, and the laws of geometry mean
that this is (likely to be) much lower than the actual belt tension.
Besides which and despite popular folklaw, it is not an elastic band.

Huw
Austin Shackles
2005-11-14 14:18:39 UTC
On or around Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:10:43 -0000, "Huw"
Post by Huw
Post by Nick Williams
Post by Steve
Post by Pieter Vroom
If you are replacing the timing belt you need to double tension it, i.e.
tension correctly once, rotate engine by hand for a couple of revs, and
repeat tensioning. I think there is a good description on difflock website
(for 300tdi, but very similar).
Yes, I got that idea from the manual too, just the tension seems awfully
low.
Steve
You're not measuring the actual tension in the belt, though, you're measuring
the torque that results on the idler pulley, and the laws of geometry mean
that this is (likely to be) much lower than the actual belt tension.
Besides which and despite popular folklaw, it is not an elastic band.
very true. The amount of stretch is minimal indeed.
"Chuck didn't reply, so George swung round in his saddle. He could just
see Chuck's face, a white oval turned toward the sky.
'Look,' whispered Chuck, and George lifted his eyes to heaven.
(There is always a last time for everything.)
Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out"
Arthur C. Clarke, "The 9 billion names of God"
beamendsltd
2005-11-14 16:58:59 UTC
Post by Huw
Post by Nick Williams
Post by Steve
Post by Pieter Vroom
If you are replacing the timing belt you need to double tension it, i.e.
tension correctly once, rotate engine by hand for a couple of revs, and
repeat tensioning. I think there is a good description on difflock website
(for 300tdi, but very similar).
Yes, I got that idea from the manual too, just the tension seems awfully
low.
Steve
You're not measuring the actual tension in the belt, though, you're measuring
the torque that results on the idler pulley, and the laws of geometry mean
that this is (likely to be) much lower than the actual belt tension.
Besides which and despite popular folklaw, it is not an elastic band.
very true. The amount of stretch is minimal indeed.
Which is just as well, as setting the timing with a stretchy belt
could represent something of a challenge.......... ;-)

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk ***@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
Austin Shackles
2005-11-13 22:07:08 UTC
On or around Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:14:24 +0000, Steve
Post by Steve
Hi folks,
The manual says "tension with a lever-type torque wrench to 20Nm"
Is that right ? It sounds like bugger all.
nah, 's right. that's th eload on the tensioner, it's quite tight enough.
It's not the fixings.
"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk." Pink Floyd (1994)
Defender90
2021-03-05 15:31:42 UTC
19/20 nm is spot on with a flexi torque wrench Steve. 45 nm for the fixing bolt with a snap torque wrench Regards Def. Ken.
--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/landrover/timing-belt-tension-on-a-200tdi-66871-.htm