series 2a gearbox problems
Andy
2004-09-07 20:18:14 UTC
hiya,

ive just took my series out for its maiden run. alls well except the
gearbox is very very noisey, sounds like its in 4 wheel drive.

all the controlls are in the right positions but i can still get it
into 4th at 20mph and it pulls ok. bearing in mind ive also got
7.50x16 tyres on and 5.1 diffs fitted. id expect it to struggle big
time in 4th at that speed.

is it possible for the box to be out of 4 wheel drive but still in low
as i am hoping there is a rod/pin or something thats stuck, the box
has been sitting around and dragged from here to there for about 4
years, as when i dropped the transfere oil about 1/2 a pint of water
came out first, but no bits or bobs or balls or shims just thick goey
oil oh, and the 1/2 a pint of water.

i9t changes gear lovely and selects gears as it should, its just the
noise is like its in 4 wheel drive ( when turning the front wheels do
not slip or bite), any help or advise would be greatly appreciated as
im scratching my head with this, and as ive only just put it in id
rather not have to swap it if i can help it.

andy
JD
2004-09-07 20:40:07 UTC
Post by Andy
[...]
If you are not familiar with the noise from these vehicles, it is quite
possible that the noise is perfectly normal. However, if there was water in
the transfer case, and it has bee there for any length of time, the
bearings will almost certainly be rough and noisy at the least.

You do not mention the type of engine, but my petrol engined 109 will
happily pull top at 20mph on 7.50 tyres (on the level), and the low down
torque is better on diesels.

You can easily check whether the transfer case is in low by driving it in
both low and high - the difference will be very obvious. To check whether
the noise is in the main gearbox or the transfer case, check the noise
levels in neutral, this may help.

Series Landrovers should be no noisier in four wheel drive than two wheel
drive, but low range will be a lot noisier.
JD
w***@lardrover.co.uk
2004-09-07 20:43:29 UTC
Post by Andy
ive just took my series out for its maiden run. alls well except the
gearbox is very very noisey, sounds like its in 4 wheel drive.
Clutching at straws but my SIIa was always a pig for not letting go of
4X4 when coming off green lanes and onto the tarmac again. The cure
for me is to change back up to high ratio then reverse a couple of
vehicle lengths. I haven;t explored the reason, this cure works fine
for me so far :)

Always had to explain what I was going to do well in advance when a
party of several vehicles was involved as I would pull over shortly
after getting onto the tarmac and so would everyone who was behind me,
so I couoldn't reverse
Wayne Davies - Mobile 07989 556213 - Harrogate, N.Yorks, UK
Andy
2004-09-07 21:13:05 UTC
Post by w***@lardrover.co.uk
Post by Andy
ive just took my series out for its maiden run. alls well except the
gearbox is very very noisey, sounds like its in 4 wheel drive.
Clutching at straws but my SIIa was always a pig for not letting go of
4X4 when coming off green lanes and onto the tarmac again. The cure
for me is to change back up to high ratio then reverse a couple of
vehicle lengths. I haven;t explored the reason, this cure works fine
for me so far :)
Always had to explain what I was going to do well in advance when a
party of several vehicles was involved as I would pull over shortly
after getting onto the tarmac and so would everyone who was behind me,
so I couoldn't reverse
i had a series3 box in previously and altho noisey it wasnt a patch on
this thing.

i have a 2.8 diahatsu diesel in it, but coupled up to 5.1 diffs and
750x16`s id expect it to struggle at anythng below 25 in top.

the rusty bearing theory has me worried.

ive got a good trnsfere box off another series 3 would this mate up to
the series 2a box? and how time consuming is doing this swap.

andy
EMB
2004-09-07 21:19:26 UTC
Post by Andy
i have a 2.8 diahatsu diesel in it, but coupled up to 5.1 diffs and
750x16`s id expect it to struggle at anythng below 25 in top.
5.1 diffs? or 4.1 diffs?
--
EMB
change two to number to reply
Andy
2004-09-07 21:27:11 UTC
Post by EMB
Post by Andy
i have a 2.8 diahatsu diesel in it, but coupled up to 5.1 diffs and
750x16`s id expect it to struggle at anythng below 25 in top.
5.1 diffs? or 4.1 diffs?
rangey diff and an early defender, but there both the same 5.1 i
think, the series ones were 4.7 , is this correct? im sure it is.

just had a thought,

when i replaced the bellhousing on the series2a box with the one off a
series3, i did notice there was a lot of ( excuse the technical
jargon ) upy and downy movement in the input shaft to the gearbox, no
in and out movement. the up and down movement got me a bit worried,
but i thought that once its in its sleeve and in the spigot bearing it
wont matter that much.

maybe id be better getting another box,.........

andy
EMB
2004-09-07 21:46:36 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by EMB
5.1 diffs? or 4.1 diffs?
rangey diff and an early defender, but there both the same 5.1 i
think, the series ones were 4.7 , is this correct? im sure it is.
Standard Series is 4.7 and you should have 3.54 diffs.
Andy
2004-09-07 21:49:15 UTC
Post by EMB
Post by Andy
Post by EMB
5.1 diffs? or 4.1 diffs?
rangey diff and an early defender, but there both the same 5.1 i
think, the series ones were 4.7 , is this correct? im sure it is.
Standard Series is 4.7 and you should have 3.54 diffs.
ooopps, sorry, been a long day.

your right, ive got 3.54 ( i knew there was a 5 in it somewhere)
terry
2004-09-07 22:06:36 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by EMB
Post by Andy
Post by EMB
5.1 diffs? or 4.1 diffs?
rangey diff and an early defender, but there both the same 5.1 i
think, the series ones were 4.7 , is this correct? im sure it is.
Standard Series is 4.7 and you should have 3.54 diffs.
ooopps, sorry, been a long day.
your right, ive got 3.54 ( i knew there was a 5 in it somewhere)
On my 2a with the standard diffs, 25mph would be towards the lower range
for 4th gear (without overdrive) before the engine would vibrate under
load. Engine is 2.5 diesel from sherpa. FWIW, 35 is the realistic lower
for overdrive 4th before there is no power/vibration under load.

Terry
Series IIa
terry
2004-09-07 22:07:34 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by EMB
Post by Andy
Post by EMB
5.1 diffs? or 4.1 diffs?
rangey diff and an early defender, but there both the same 5.1 i
think, the series ones were 4.7 , is this correct? im sure it is.
Standard Series is 4.7 and you should have 3.54 diffs.
ooopps, sorry, been a long day.
your right, ive got 3.54 ( i knew there was a 5 in it somewhere)
Also, see my other post, I am on 7.50x16 tyres too.

Terry
Series IIa
JD
2004-09-07 23:25:04 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by EMB
Post by Andy
Post by EMB
5.1 diffs? or 4.1 diffs?
rangey diff and an early defender, but there both the same 5.1 i
think, the series ones were 4.7 , is this correct? im sure it is.
Standard Series is 4.7 and you should have 3.54 diffs.
ooopps, sorry, been a long day.
your right, ive got 3.54 ( i knew there was a 5 in it somewhere)
Well, if you have 3.54 diffs, plus a more modern, higher speed engine (not
familiar with that one), then perhaps it is stuck in low range. Still easy
to check if it does the same speed in first in high or low range. Only way
I can see this happening is if the lever is not connected to the shifter
rod or not connected to the pivot at the bottom end - or the fork is loose
on the shifter rod. I suggest you drain the transfer case and remove the
cover plate on the bottom so you can see what is going on.
JD
Alex
2004-09-07 23:07:10 UTC
Post by Andy
hiya,
ive just took my series out for its maiden run. alls well except the
gearbox is very very noisey, sounds like its in 4 wheel drive.
all the controlls are in the right positions but i can still get it
into 4th at 20mph and it pulls ok. bearing in mind ive also got
7.50x16 tyres on and 5.1 diffs fitted. id expect it to struggle big
time in 4th at that speed.
My IIa 109" with 2.25 petrol, 7.50 tyres ( incidentally the ratio is
4.7:1, not 5:1) pulls happily in 4th gear at 15mph. And the engine is
dodgy as well.
Post by Andy
is it possible for the box to be out of 4 wheel drive but still in low
as i am hoping there is a rod/pin or something thats stuck, the box
has been sitting around and dragged from here to there for about 4
years, as when i dropped the transfere oil about 1/2 a pint of water
came out first, but no bits or bobs or balls or shims just thick goey
oil oh, and the 1/2 a pint of water.
The selector rods on the transfer box do get stuck if not used,
however, the most common fault is the 4wd dog cluch rod not moving.
This has quite specific symptons: Usually it is impossible to engage
low box without pressing the yellow button down first. The red lever
should move quite freely with the yellow lever in the up position - if
not you will have to take the xfer box out and sort out the selector
rods in the front output shaft housing. It is not possible for the box
to be in low gear without 4wd engaged, but if you have the above
symptons then it is running in 4wd High all the time
Post by Andy
i9t changes gear lovely and selects gears as it should, its just the
noise is like its in 4 wheel drive ( when turning the front wheels do
not slip or bite), any help or advise would be greatly appreciated as
im scratching my head with this, and as ive only just put it in id
rather not have to swap it if i can help it.
Series gearboxes can be noisy at the best of times, more so if the
gears are worn. You don't mention if it's a IIA or a III, the IIa
boxes are slightly nosier in 1st anyway. To find out if it's stuck in
4wd, take it into a carpark and put the steering on full lock either
directon, drive it forwards about 3 complete circles, the steering
wheel should at some point be jerking, ie, momentarily fighting back
against you, and then letting go again. If you're still not sure, park
it up, chock one side's wheels, and jack the other side up, spinning
either front or back wheels will tell you if it's in 4wd or not.

Alex
z***@gmail.com
2016-01-06 09:50:39 UTC
China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing, manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in smart kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-transmission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunication and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different sizes.
In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partners around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd